Since we’re right in the thick of these long, hot summer months, let’s dive into the cool textile, linen. This brilliant fabric has ancient origins, but its absorbent and lightweight qualities keep it current. Possibly the best feature of this textile is that it gets softer with every washing. Keep in mind that the life of your linen piece will last longer when air-dried rather than tumble-dried.
Because linen has a more casual look to it, we recommend wearing this fabric to outdoor day events where the dress code is nice casual. The natural texture and color of linen will fit right in with your out-of-doors event.
Best of all, the absorptive nature of this textile will keep you cool and refreshed without summoning the infamous 'marks'.
We’ve rounded up some of our favorite linen pieces that are both light and chic, so you can stay comfortable and classic.
How to style it:
- Flirty Skirts. Combine a flowy A-line skirt with a linen fabric, and your legs are sure to stay cool. We love the flirty, yet mature look of a knee-length skirt.
- The Classic Pant. Shorts, capris, and full-length pants constructed of this lightweight textile, similar to a skirt, will keep you cool and dressed your best. There are plenty of baggy pant options out there, but to keep your look polished, look for a more tailored-style pant.
- Light Shirts. Keep your look timeless by wearing shirts that have classic cuts and shapes.
- Comfy Shoes. Espadrilles and wedges are comfortable, height-producing options appropriate for the activities that accompany outdoor day events. As Kate Middleton showed the world post baby #1, these are also ideal volleyball shoes! (Disclaimer: Do not attempt this at home.)
- Totes Adorbs. Complete your look with a linen tote!
- Sun Protection. An easy way to keep the sun off your skin as much as possible is to wear a hat and slather on the sunscreen. Your skin will thank you later!